Sunday 19 July 2009

Playing second fiddle

Well first I'd like to thank all of those readers who were so supportive of my job application last week. I haven't had any response yet, but paws crossed eh? 

I did point out how my presence can greatly enhance most photographs of the Scottish landscape.  Now, lest anyone accuse me of being big-headed (it does happen from time to time), today I will concede, that just occasionally, the view itself, without me, suffices. 

For example, Gail and I drove over to the West Coast on Friday evening and at about quarter to ten we saw the sun setting in spectacular fashion over Loch Maree*.


Some French tourists stopped at the same viewpoint, and insisted taking a snap of  Gail and me. But, to be honest, it's not such a good picture is it? With the camera focused on the two of us, the drama in the skies is somewhat diminished (and you can barely even make out the loch). 

And here's another shot, taken five miles further down the road. The mountain is Slioch, which contrary to appearances is not a live volcano. I don't expect anyone looking at this photograph will be saying "but where's the Westie?"

I trust that this post will demonstrate to my potential employers at the Scottish Tourist Board that I do have some sense of proportion regarding my place in the scheme of things. Although, come to think of it, had it been just me, not Gail too, in that rather mediocre photo.........

*Hint for would-be tourists to Scotland. Loch Maree, in Wester Ross, is less famous but infinitely more beautiful than Loch Ness, in my humble opinion! 

[PS In the parallel dog blogosphere universe, congratulations to Rosie and Petey - great wedding!]

7 comments:

Stella said...

That first picture is really gorgeous! The one of you and Gail is very good too.

Did you have fun at the wedding, Hamish? You were very handsome and our long talk was the best part of it all.

Kisses,
Stella

Maxmom said...

Hey there, Hamish
Those colours on the clouds are exquisite! We absolutely love sunset pictures and the scenery around you guys must be breathtaking at the moment!
Thank you too for putting up a pic of Gail...it's nice to know what she looks like. The two of you do make a good pair!
We are also holding paws for something to happen with the tourist board...have they seen your blog at all? Good luck and speak soon.
Tons of love and licks
Maxdog in South Africa

Arran, Arthur and Mum said...

That sky does be very magnificent. I so suprised you has not heard back from them yet!

It great seeing you at the wedding btw!
~lickies, Ludo

Asta said...

Hamish
Ok, I'll admit those awe magnificent view and the touwist boawd should take note, but c'mon, don't tell me a hooge shot of you in fwont of any of those scenes would make it even bettew
smoochie kisses
ASTA

Jake of Florida said...

Hamish,

We do admire your modesty -- but it's hard to imagine any photo that would not be enhanced by the presence of a handsome westie named Hamish (or a good-looking wire fox terrier such as myself).

So we suggest you continue your campaign with the Scottish Tourist Board -- and if you need support, just whistle, and we'll be there!!!

What fun we had at the wedding, eh?

Jake

The Black and Tans. said...

Hamish we have our paws crossed that you will have a response very soon to your job application.

Beautiful photos Hamish.

Molly, Taffy and Monty

TwoSpecialWires said...

Where's the Westie, Hamish? We know that those beautiful colors would glow off of your shiny white coat. But even in your absence, those photos are gorgeous (and we were glad to get a peek of you and Gail!)

'bout to sleep,
Jake and Fergs (who were happy to spend time in your beautiful country this past weekend)